Health unit reports second COVID death

1177

The Renfrew County and District Health Unit is reporting that a second person has died of COVID-19 in the county region.

The health unit announced Thursday that the county has seen 297 confirmed cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began last March. A total of 290 people have recovered.

The county had previously recorded one death back in March, a 90-year-old woman who lived in a Pembroke nursing home.

The health unit has released no information regarding the identity of the second death.

The health unit noted that the county has seen a “drastic” rise in the number of local cases since September. There were a total of 103 confirmed cases in the month of December alone.

The health unit said 61 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in January, with a week to go.

“After the holidays, we saw a rise in cases related to gatherings and lack of adherence to public health measures. Since then, cases in RCD have remained relatively low, and we aim to keep trending downward,” said Dr. Robert Cushman, acting medical officer
of health for Renfrew County and District.

“While my staff and I commend the residents of RCD, we want to remind everyone that this is not the time to let our guard down. Strict adherence to public health measures put in place through the provincewide shutdown and stay-at-home order are critical for our success in combating COVID-19 as we move forward,” Cushman added.

“It is our firm hope that keeping the numbers low and rolling out the vaccines will put this behind us. Remember, we need to work together to stop the spread of COVID-19. Stay home. Stay Safe. Save lives.”

  • For more local coverage, pick up a copy of this week’s NRT. To get the NRT delivered directly to your mail box or inbox each week, subscribe here.