The Renfrew County and District Health Unit has issued its first fines to two individuals for failing to self-isolate under COVID-19 orders.
The health unit announced Tuesday that it has issued two tickets for $875 each to residents for not adhering to the “Section 22” order put in place earlier this fall by Dr. Robert Cushman, acting medical officer of health for Renfrew County and District.
The health unit said the Section 22 order requires all residents of Renfrew County and District (RCD), to immediately begin self-isolation if they:
- are a confirmed case or probable case of COVID-19;
- have signs and symptoms of COVID-19, have been tested for COVID-19 and are awaiting the results of their test;
- believe they now have one or more symptoms (even mild symptoms) of COVID-19; or
- are a close contact of a person diagnosed with COVID-19 or are a close contact of a person identified as a probable case of COVID-19.
“With news of the provincial shutdown due to increasing case counts, we cannot stress enough, how important it is, that everyone continue to do their part in the fight against COVID-19,” said Dr. Cushman.
“It is imperative that you stay home if you are sick, celebrate with only members of your immediate household, avoid contact with people who are ill, practice physical distancing (2 metres), wear a mask/face covering when physical distancing cannot be maintained, wash your hands, use the COVID Alert App, and complete the COVID19 self-assessment tool or COVID-19 school and child care self-assessment tool daily if you go to work, school or daycare, to monitor for symptoms and proper guidance.”
Under the province’s Health Protection and Promotion Act, anyone who fails to comply with a Section 22 order can be charged and could face fines of up to $5,000 a day.
Under the order, “self-isolation” means that residents must remain in their home or “isolation facility.”
“Do not go outside, unless on to a private balcony or enclosed yard where you can avoid close contact with others. You must not have any visitors into your home except as permitted by RCDHU.”
- For more local coverage, pick up a copy of this week’s NRT. To get the NRT delivered directly to your mail box or inbox each week, subscribe here.